Monday, January 11, 2010

Observations While Riding The Subway/TTC In Toronto, Canada on New Years Eve-2009.

It was a few hours away until New years Eve, until the city of Toronto welcomed 2010. While I was riding on the Subway, and listening to my iPod; something caught my attention. I saw a bunch of young adults who looked between the ages of 19-22 years old pre-drinking and on their way to a club. I could not help but notice how they dressed and I cannot forget to mention-how they were acting. The girls were wearing clothing that was extremely tight, flashy and attention grabbing. I mean, a very short dress made up of a bright blue velvet like fabric with matching blue high-heeled shoes that are ridiculously high-is a bit extreme don’t you think? I think that a girl can still be extremely attractive by dressing with more elegance, class or even more simpler. My question is-who says that a nice pair of jeans and a shirt cannot be sexy? I recognize and understand that at times a girl would like to dress more sexy. There is nothing wrong per se with showing some skin. However, there is a line between wearing clothing to be feminine and attracting too much attention. I  felt like I was out-of-place because I am in the age range of those girls and I was not dressed like them and I would not want to. I thought to myself in my head “Maybe, I think too conservatively? Maybe, there is something wrong with how I dress?” I was wearing a pair of jeans that are fitted but not overly tight. A black, fitted, shirt with long sleeves because it was cold and a U of T hoodie on top of the shirt. My black jacket is a female almost wind breaker for the Autumn season. I do wear clothing that is femeine and fitted. I like to feel sexy and wear clothing that is sexy instead of casual but does sexy have to yell for attention? The girls while they were on the Subway acted immaturely and didn’t act their age. They were speaking loudly yelling sometimes, grabbing on the Subway poles to prevent themselves from falling and their choice of words/vocabulary were not that impressive either. I feel like I am a harsh critic and acting too mature for my own good.  Of course, there is definitely a time and place when one goes out, has fun, and doesn’t think about having proper grammar or speaking intellectually. When a girl goes out does that mean she has to dress in a specific way? I was thinking what is responsible for how so many girls dress? Perhaps, the social pressures in today’s society are accountable such the ways in which girls are represented by the media and the expectations that they are expected to follow? For example, in countless television shows and advertisements-girls dress in a specific way-Did you ever notice how girls are expected to possess a feminine, sexy, look in many places such as the hottest nightclubs? The next time you’re in a shopping mall it is very easy to recognize the feminine image that is clearly portrayed in the popular clothing stores-Why can’t a girl wear something that is less revealing or perhaps more unique? I began to contemplate-Who, what, and where decides exactly what is “hot”, “in style”, and “fashionable” for a girl? Let us be honest, in today’s society it just isn’t “cool”, “sexy”, or even shall I dare to say “beautiful” to wear a pair of Levi’s (heaven forbid!) No, a girl has to wear a type or style of jeans that is good enough for today’s current fashion trends. None other than the wise, and classic Dr. Seuss said it best “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” The older I become, and the more time that passes by makes me stand strongly by these words-Always stay true to yourself whether it be the clothing that you decide to wear or the poetry you decide to write-don’t let the pressures and expectations of society dictate who you are or anything else about you.

[Via http://poeticmocha.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment